Gas Safe Building Compliance Regulations Certificate: What Landlords Need to Know in 2022

Building Regulations are formulated to ensure that buildings are safe to live in. All rented properties in the England and Wales must have a valid Gas Safe certificate.

Published 15/07/2022

Author Articles @ EVO



●       What is a building regulations compliance gas safety certificate?

●       What falls under building regulations?

●       The GSIUR (Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations).

●       Work that does and does not require notification.

●       Gas Safe Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.


What is a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate?

Building Regulations are formulated to ensure that buildings are safe to live in.

When an appliance that produces heat is installed in England and Wales, local authorities have to be informed so that a Gas Safe Building Regulations Compliance Certificate can be issued.

As a landlord, you must ensure that the Building Regulations, as outlined in the Building Regulations Guide, are adhered to for any properties you own and that the gas safe registered engineer notifies the installation.

If you work as a gas installer, it is a legal requirement to notify or register the installation of heat-producing gas appliances and heating and hot water systems with your Local Authority. In the case of gas, this can only be done through the Gas Safe Register or one of its third-party partners that has an agreement with the Register.

What Falls Under Building Regulations?

Building Regulations are standards of safety that deal with the technical and construction details applicable to all buildings in the UK to ensure that they are safe to live in.

The Building Regulations are composed of Approved Documents that cover the technical aspects of construction. These include:

A: Structure.

B: Fire Safety Regulations.

C: Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture.

D: Toxic substances.

E: Resistance to the passage of sound.

F: Ventilation Regulations.

G: Sanitation, hot water safety, and water efficiency.

H: Drainage and waste disposal.

J: Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems.

K: Protection from falling, collision, and impact.

L: Conservation of fuel and power.

M: Access to and use of buildings.

P: Electrical safety (dwellings).

Q: Security (dwellings).

R: Physical infrastructure for high-speed electronic communications networks (dwellings).

Gas installations must comply with GSIUR (Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations) as well as a broader set of regulations including notifying the installation of heat-producing appliances.

Technical compliance is met by ensuring that your gas work meets the guidelines outlined in the technical guidance documents that support the Building Regulations.

During work inspections, the Gas Safe Register assesses compliance with the technical documents. The Gas Safe Register is a list of approved gas engineers who have the necessary skills and qualifications to work on gas appliances.

In addition to the gas boiler installation being safe and complying with GSIUR, the new heating system must also satisfy the design and energy efficiency standards specified in the Building Services Compliance guide.

If the Gas Safe Register finds that the work does not fully meet the requirements, the engineers will be asked to upgrade the work to satisfy the requirements.

The local authority may prosecute those whose work does not comply with the Building Regulations. Those in contravention may receive a hefty fine and prosecution can take place for up to two years after the work has been completed.

What Are the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations (GSIUR)?

Each year people either suffer from ill-health or die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues which were not properly installed or maintained.

The GSIUR deals with the installation and maintenance of gas appliances (including flues and fittings) in domestic premises. Amendments to the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations came into force in April 2018.

The regulations stipulate the obligation of UK landlords to ensure that gas appliances and fittings are safe for the tenants to use. The regulations apply to anyone who intends to install, service, maintain, or repair gas appliances and other gas fittings.

The replacement, installation, or maintenance of a heating system must be notified to Building Control. This rule also applies to any alteration to an existing system.

If an existing gas appliance like a boiler is moved to another location on the property, it must be notified.

As a landlord, you are required to:

  • Ensure that all gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition and in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Ensure gas appliance checks have been carried out annually as the certificate is only valid for one year.
  • Keep a record of the gas safety checks.
  • Issue a copy of the last gas safety record to existing tenants within 28 days after the checks have taken place.

Work that Requires Notification

Gas engineers know that gas installations must comply with GSIUR for safety reasons. Over and above that, certain installations must also comply with a broader set of requirements, including notifying the installation of heat-producing appliances in England and Wales.

Technical compliance is achieved by ensuring that your gas work complies with the guidance outlined in the technical guidance documents that support the Building Regulations.

If you have a gas appliance installed at your property, then it must be accompanied by a valid installation certificate. The installation certificate also serves as the  ‘Building Regulations Compliance Certificate’ and is registered on the Gas Safety Register. This means they can easily inform the local authority that the installation is in compliance with all prescribed building regulations.

Gas Work that Requires Notification in England and Wales

The following gas installations require notification:

  • Gas-fired condensing boiler

  • Gas-fired non-condensing boiler

  • Flue gas heat recovery device with a domestic gas condensing boiler

  • Gas-fired radiant heating system

  • Gas-fired water heater

  • Gas-fired warm air heating system

  • Flue gas cooking range/hot water boiler

Adding to an existing heating system which alters the performance of the boiler, such as re-setting the boiler input or output, requires notification.

Under the Building Regulations, the relevant local authority should be notified within a period of 30 days after completed work.

A third-party agent, such as the manufacturer, can also notify. After the manufacturer submits the information that must be checked by the Gas Safe Register, the gas safety certificate will be provided to the homeowner. The Gas Safe Register notifies the appropriate Local Authority Building Control department.

For Scotland, the requirements are different and can be found on the government website for Scotland.

What Work Does Not Require Notification?

You do not need to apply for approval if the work is not covered by building regulations, or if it’s carried out by someone who is registered with a competent person scheme.

You do not need building regulations approval for projects such as:

  • Repairs, replacements, and maintenance work (except oil tanks, fuse boxes, heating systems and glazing units).

  • New power and lighting points, or changes to existing circuits.

  • Replacements of baths, toilets, basins, and sinks.

  • Even if formal approval is not required, it is incumbent upon the landlord or homeowner to meet safety and energy efficiency standards.

How to Obtain a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate

It is easy and inexpensive to apply for your Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.

After the Gas Safe registered engineer approves the installation and informs the relevant Local Authority, the homeowner will receive the Building Regulations Compliance Certificate in the post within 10-15 working days.

The Gas Safe Register has a team of inspectors who monitor that gas installations or other work carried out on gas appliances is competent and safe. Notification costs £2.20 plus VAT per notification online or £3.50 plus VAT by phone. You are entitled to notify up to six items per address in one transaction. The Gas Safe Register can be contacted in any of the following ways:

By phone - Consumers: 0800 408 5500; Engineers: 0800 408 5577

By email - enquiries@gassaferegister.co.uk

If you require a duplicate Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, you can obtain this by contacting the Gas Safe Register online or calling 0800 408 5500 and choosing option 1. There is a charge of £6.12, including VAT for duplicate certificates.

By using EVO you will be provided with a qualified, vetted engineer when using the compliance add-on. EVO provides landlords with the peace of mind that their properties are safe and compliant.

Related Articles

Capital Letters partners with EVO Digital as it steps up efforts to tackle the homelessness crisis

Not-for-profit company Capital Letters has made a major move in it’s work to tackle the homelessness crisis by partnering with unique property maintenance company EVO Digital Technologies (EVO) to digitalise its repairs, maintenance and compliance services through a unique tenant-driven platform.


Do I Need an HMO Licence for Three Tenants? Landlord HMO Guide

Do I need an HMO licence for three tenants? How do I perform an HMO licence check? This guide answers these questions and covers everything you need to know about HMOs.


Are Landlords Responsible for Pest Control UK?

Are landlords responsible for pest control UK: Do tenants or landlords pay for pest control in rented properties? This guide explains everything you need to know.


Landlord Inspection Checklist: A Guide for Landlords

This property inspection checklist tells you everything you should check when visiting your rental property


A Guide to Effective Property Maintenance

Property maintenance helps keep tenants happy, stops your property from falling into disrepair and keeps you on the right side of housing regulations. But high costs and difficulties finding skilled people make it challenging. This guide highlights all of the basic information you need to know. 


Section 8 Grounds: Everything You Need To Know

This guide explains everything landlords and tenants need to know about changes to the Section 8 grounds for eviction.


What is Planned Preventative Maintenance?

Planned preventative maintenance is a great way to keep your property in top condition, reduce your costs and keep your tenants happy.


The Renters Reform Bill 2022: Everything You Need to Know

The biggest change in the rental sector for over a decade....


Failing Landlords to Expect Ofsted-Style Inspections and Unlimited Fines

Failing Landlords to Expect Ofsted-Style Inspections and Unlimited Fines


Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

Electrical installations are subject to wear and tear and if they are not checked on a regular basis, they can become dangerous...


How to choose the Right Property Management Company

For many landlords in the UK, renting out properties can be time-consuming and stressful. An experienced property management agency can do the work for you, but which one best fits your needs?


Extended Regulations on Domestic Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Extended Regulations on Domestic Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms


Energy Efficiency Standards are Changing

What Landlords Need to Know

New government proposals planned for 2025 are going to increase the requirements on landlords to make their properties more energy efficient....


Inquiry into Private Rental Sector Publishes Findings

The House of Commons Committee of Public Accounts has published its report following an inquiry into the regulation of England’s private renting sector.


The Tenant Experience and Why It Matters

Tenant experience is the most important phrase most landlords don’t use. However, it is a key part of a successful rental agreement that benefits both parties...